I remember when I was about ten I wanted to get everyone a present so bad. Since I wasn't making any money, I decided it would be funny to take articles of clothing from my families room, wrap it up, and put them under the tree. Unfortunately, days before the big unveil, everyone started to realize what I had done and they'd rip open their gifts. My mom laughed, and my sisters were annoyed. "ANDREAS JOSHUA!" They'd yell.
It's always been tradition for my family to come together during the month of December. As I've gotten older and grown to wander, I've been mostly by myself during the holidays. Luckily, during those times of independence, I opened up my kitchen to people I love. I'd invite anyone who was not home for the holidays or who didn't have a home to go to.
Even if you are alone this year, for whatever holiday you may celebrate, bring together the community you do have, and relish in that gathering.
Root Vegetable Holiday Hash
- 2 beets, cubed
- 3 yellow potatoes, cubed
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 10 oz baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 tbs chives
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c veggie broth
- 1/2 c quick oats
- 1 small onion
- 4 tbs oil
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Chop up all your root vegetables into cubes.
- In a large bowl combine root vegetables, 3 tbs olive oil, 1/2 tbs fresh rosemary, 1/2 tsp dried sage, three cloves of minced garlic, and 1/4 tsp dried thyme in a bowl.
- Lay out your coated veggies on baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes(or until soft).
- In a pan sprinkle olive oil and once heated add a small onion.
- Once your onions are sweating and softened, add chopped mushrooms and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and chives.
- Cook for another two minutes and set aside.
- In a small pot, heat up olive oil and add remaining garlic and onion.
- Once translucent, add oats and veggie broth.
- As it thickens, stir in nutritional yeast and paprika.
- Once your oats are ready, serve warm.
- Top with roasted vegetables and the cooked mushrooms.
- Garnish with chives and accompany your hash with hot sauce.