Suddenly, you were everywhere. In the fibers of my pillow and the ice cubes of my water. I couldn’t stop thinking about you. It didn't matter what I did because my emotions were on overdrive. Thinking about the future. The possibility of an “us.”
At the grocery store, we'd be.
Just you and me.
I pictured you in the produce section as I graced the greens. I'd look over and you'd be squeezing oranges.
“Sniff. Sniff.” for freshness.
Asking yourself, “which would be best for us in the morning?”
In my kitchen, concentration was shot. I was flooded with thoughts of you. Your scent. The way you looked naked. How it felt to nervously kiss you for the first time. I was tipsy, in a bubbly glass of champagne, off of you.
“You’re being excessive.” I said to myself.
“Chop. Cut. Wash the parsnips. Dress them in oil. Salt. Pepper. His smile. Looking up to talk to him. His work.”
I couldn’t help myself. You were a sweet treat- chocolate morsels or coconut meat.
Root Vegetable Tacos
- Black beans
- 1/2 a head of small red cabbage, shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 limes, juiced
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1/2 a small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and chopped (or half if you don't want much spice)
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into thick fries (feel free to use parsnips or carrots too)
- 2 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl mix together shredded cabbage, juice of two limes, green onions, and a generous amount of salt (about 1/2TBS).
- Massage with your hands until the cabbage is slightly soft. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F
- Make your beans the night before. If you do not have time to soak, buy can beans and follow the recipe as so (only use two cloves of garlic).
- Wash the outside of your sweet potato and cut into thick fries
- Lay them out on a baking sheet and coat in oil, one clove of grated garlic, cayenne pepper, and S&P
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes. You want them golden, buttery, and soft.
- While they roast, cut your avocado in half and remove the meat into a bowl.
- Mash up the avocado with a fork and stir in the chopped onion, chopped tomato, one clove of grated garlic, cumin, 1/4 cup of cilantro, juice of half a lime and desired salt and pepper.
- Once your sweet potatoes are ready, turn your oven down to 250 and warm up your tortillas for 5 minutes.
- Assemble your tacos: two tortillas, sweet potatoes, beans, guacamole, slaw, and cilantro to garnish.
- Enjoy your food coma.